Tuesday 4 November 2014

US & Canada Book Haul 2014

I went to America and Canada for three weeks! It was such an awesome trip, and of course I came home with many books. So I thought I'd run through them for you!


Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
I purchased this really pretty children's classic edition from the New York Public Library gift shop. Such a lovely shop for book lovers. 

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
Purchased from Strand Books (12th St & Broadway) aka my favourite bookstore probably in the world. Have been wanting to buy this book for awhile, check out my short review in my October Wrap Up.

The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson 
A quick purchase from Indigo Books & Music at Toronto's Eaton Centre. I don't know much about this book other than that it's a contemporary YA, which sounds pretty good to me.

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
Since reading We Were Liars (one of my favourite books this year) I have been itching to read/buy some more of E. Lockhart's novels to see if they're any good. This one was on the shelf at Strand Books so I picked it up. Lockhart's books are no where to be found in Australia (only We Were Liars, of course).

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
I know, I purchased a book by an Australian author in America. Whoops. I've been meaning to pick up this book for awhile now, especially seeing as the sequel, The Rosie Effect, was released last month. When I saw this in the Paperback New Releases at Strand Books I couldn't put it down. However I definitely like the Australian orange cover better than this one.

The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart
Another E. Lockhart book I picked up from Strand Books, I believe this is part of a series, and I'm interested in reading it. 

Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
I've seen the beautiful cover of this book on Goodreads before, and it definitely caught my eye when I saw it on the shelf in Strand Books. I think this is a contemporary book as well, don't know much else. 

September Girls by Bennett Madison
This one I purchased at the Brooklyn Book Festival which was happening while we were in New York on the 20-something-th of September. This book was for sale at a stall for a local bookstore in Brooklyn, I'm not sure of the details, but it sounds pretty good. A good summer read, so hopefully I get through it this summer.

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas
An obvious choice. This book is the second in the Throne of Glass series, the first book of which I read this year. This book was another one I'd been looking out for for awhile. However it doesn't match my copy of the first book AT ALL which I kind of regret, and eventually I will have to fix up my series so they all match. This was also from Strand Books (can you tell that I love Strand??).

Mr Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
I bought this at Strand Book's Central Park kiosk/pop up in the south-east corner. I've been thinking of purchasing this for ages, and since I work in a bookshop, I thought it'd be a fun read. I've actually read the first chapter or so of this (on the subway home that day) and it's really interesting! I love the reading, from the author's biography in the first pages I knew it would be a great read. Can't wait to get back to this book.

Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth
Another book that I really wanted to buy. In particular, Four had to be purchased in America so that it matched my other editions (I have the hard copy Insurgent and Allegiant). But I didn't really want to pay an exorbitant amount for it (like many bookshops wanted for a hardcover book), so I waited. I actually picked up this copy from the Yale Bookstore in New Haven when we visited. They had 30% off new releases at that time and I was able to get this book, at a regular price! Bargain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment