Friday 31 October 2014

October Wrap Up 2014

I'm back! I've been very slack in my posting lately, but I feel like I just haven't been interested in posting anything, and because a blog is supposed to be fun and not a chore, I just.. haven't! But now I'm back and hopefully I'll be posting many more things in the coming months, including some travel posts as I'm going on Exchange to the University of Leicester early next year.

But for now, here are all the books I read in October 2014!

The Red Shoe by Ursula Dubosarsky
★★★

The Red Shoe is a really unique Australian book that I had to read for University this semester for my Children's Literature course (Little Book Owl is also completing this course and has reviewed the same books). Dubosarsky's book is set during the Cold War, in particular, the Petrov Affair in 1954. It is an interesting story about three sisters who are facing different problems and coming to terms with an event that disturbed the family several years ago. As this mystery comes to light, the reader begins to link the actions of the past and the present to create an engaging novel. [GOODREADS]

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling
★★★

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me... is Mindy Kaling's second biographical memoir. It is a hilarious compilation of stories/essays from her childhood, her big breaks in Hollywood and time on The Office. I am a huge fan of The Mindy Project and love her humour, this book was nothing different. I can't wait to read her next book, and hopefully it includes some anecdotes from the set of The Mindy Project, I'm sure it'd be just as hilarious. [GOODREADS]


Flipped
 by Wendelin Van Draanen
★★★

I don't know, this is more like a 4 1/2 book. Flipped is the story of Bryce and Juli and their "friendship". The book flips between their perspectives between the two in alternating chapters, giving the exact same events from each character's perspective. I really liked Van Draanen's use of the perspectives, and thought it was a unique take on this narrative device. It was interesting to note the differences in thoughts and intentions in relation to different events, and see the character progress to a somewhat unsatisfying ending. Overall I really enjoyed the book and watched the film. [GOODREADS]

Take Me On (Pushing the Limits #4) by Katie McGarry
★★★

Take Me On is the fourth book in McGarry's contemporary series. This one follows the story of West and Haley. West is the older brother of Rachel who was the main character in the third book, Crash into You. This book had the usual great romance that McGarry is great at writing, the star-crossed lovers from different sides of the track story plays out exactly how you would expect it. Also did I mention this book is about kickboxing? Yeah, I know. Wasn't a big fan of all the fighting and training, but if you can ignore that, there's a pretty good book sitting right there. I'm sure this series will continue forever. [GOODREADS]

The Fire Eaters by David Almond

★★
☆☆

The Fire Eaters is kind of one of those books where not much happens. This is another book I read for university. Basically it's set in 1962 where the Cuban Missile Crisis is occurring, and threatening those worldwide. The story follows 'Bobbie' a young boy living in England during the time. It follows his relationship with the new boy in town, his old friends, the girl he likes and a strange man who can eat fire. The story is more about his personal growth and community and family than any real action, and at times I found it quite boring. However it was a very short book and quick to read. [GOODREADS]


The Realm of Possibility by David Levithan
★★☆☆

This book is the story of twenty different people. I know that sounds like a lot, but a lot of the perspectives are very quick and some are in verse. All twenty people attend the same high school, and the book details their interactions with each other and romantic interests. I didn't really enjoy this book too much, as I felt like there were too many voices and I didn't really understand how they were connected until I had to move onto another perspective. This is probably the type of book where a second, more in depth reading would be better. [GOODREADS]

Total read count for October: 6
Total for 2014: 61

No comments:

Post a Comment